Monday, May 16, 2011
Walking on a Rainbow – a Children’s Fiction Picture Book Workshop
During this intense 2-week crash course, you’ll have the chance to write the complete first draft of a fiction picture book manuscript under 700 words. Why under 700 words? Because you want your story to be as marketable as possible, and that is the word count agents and publishers are after the most. You’ll be able to draft your story while learning the key elements that make a fiction picture book a success. Feedback will be provided by the instructor during each step of the workshop.
Topics to be covered include:
* What you need to know before you start writing
* Amateurish mistakes beginners must avoid like the plague
* How to grab the reader on the first page (setting, character and conflict)
* Point of view
* How to plot and develop an effective story arc (conflict, rising action and resolution)
* Understanding the “Rule of Three”
* How to add sensory detail
* How to develop a character arc
* How to think in pictures
* How to replace adverbs and adjectives with strong, precise verbs
* The surprising ending or twist
* Associations, clubs and newsletters beginners should know about
* Where to submit your picture book manuscript
* And much more
Note: This workshop will focus on stories written in prose, NOT in rhyme.
Requirements: Participants must either purchase or borrow from the library a copy of A Visitor for Bear, by Bonny Becker. The book will be used for the duration of the course.
This is an intense workshop. Lessons and assignments will be posted every day Monday through Friday (for a total of 10 lessons). There will be no lessons on Saturday and Sunday.
WHEN: May 30, 2011 - Jun 10, 2011
COST: $20 for Premium Members
$30 for Basic Members
Cancellation policy: Registrations are non-refundable except when the workshop is cancelled by Savvy Authors.
REGISTRATION: Click Here to Register (Members will not receive member rate unless logged in.)
INSTRUCTOR: Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults. Her children’s picture books include Crash, The Magic Violin, Humberto, the Bookworm Hamster, Frederico, the Mouse Violinist, and The Doll Violinist. She’s had over 300 reviews, articles, stories and interviews published online and in print. She’s represented by Mansion Street Literary Management. Visit her website at www.mayrassecretbookcase.com.