Thursday, April 25, 2013

Favorite Hymns: How Great Thou Art


The words to this hymn never cease to inspire and awe. Carl Boberg, a 26-year old preacher from Sweden, wrote a poem in 1885 titled, "O Store Gud," which translated into English means, "O Great God." According to LivingHymns.org, Boberg and his friends were coming home from a meeting when they were caught in a swiftly moving thunder storm. After the storm subsided, a rainbow appeared, and off in the distance could be heard the sound of the thrush and the tolling of a church bell. All of this combined to inspire in the young preacher, a moving poem about God's greatness, which was translated many times over. English missionary, Stuart K. Hine, is credited with giving us the translation that we know today.


O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,
Thy pow'r throu' out the universe displayed.

 (Chorus)
     Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
     How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
     Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
     How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze,...

 (Chorus)

 And when I think that God, His son not sparing,
Sent Him to die---I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died, to take away my sin.

 (Chorus)

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home---what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, My God, how great thou art!

 (Chorus)


 


 The above video doesn't have all the verses, but Carrie Underwood and Vince Gill received a standing ovation for this moving rendition.

No comments: