Friday, May 23, 2014

Daily Bible Reading - End of Hebrews and James



I'm doing my best to stay in the habit of reading first thing in the mornings, but that might change soon. I'm close to finalizing who I will work under for real estate, so mornings might become a rush out the door once the kids are on the bus. I'm praying it all works out.

I read through to the end of Hebrews and all the way through James (one of my favorites).

Hebrews 10, 11, 12, and 13

Favorite verses:

10:23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.
 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
12:1-2 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
12:5-6 “My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.”
 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
 James 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

If I truly followed all the instructions in James, I would be a much better person. Though short in length, it is a powerful reminder of how to live our Christian lives. There are too many favorite verses for me to quote here, so I will restrain myself and only share my most favorite; ones that mean the most to me and encourage me in the areas where I struggle. 

Favorite verses:

1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
1:26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless.
 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.
 3:8-10 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.
 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.
 5:16 ...The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

No comments: